Office & Employer Relations Assistant
The Office & Employer Relations Assistant role is an integral part of the Career Services Center, responsible for front office administration, customer service, and project support. The Office & Employer Relations Assistant manages the daily activities of a busy front office and provides exceptional customer service to visitors, appointments, and those who inquire about our services, utilizing the Handshake platform as appropriate. Additionally, this role works with the Employer Relations Coordinator to highlight featured employer opportunities, contribute to Career Services Center social media activities, and staff career programs as needed. The Office & Employer Relations Assistant role is supervised by the Employer Relations Coordinator.
Each Office & Employer Relations Assistant is expected to work 8-12 hours per week during regular office hours (Monday-Friday, 7:45am-4:30pm) as well as staff occasional evening career events (4:00-7:00pm).
The Office & Employer Relations Assistant role will start on Monday, August 28, 2023. All student staff are required to attend paid training sessions at the Career Services Center during the week before the fall semester begins (August 21 – 25).
- Provide a warm welcome and exceptional customer service (via phone, email or in-person) to fellow students, alumni, employers, faculty, and staff visiting or inquiring about our services.
- Schedule career counseling appointments for students and alumni via Handshake.
- Educate employers on the benefits of Handshake and how to post opportunities.
- Print business cards and resumes for students and alumni.
- Take high-quality photos of visitors at the LinkedIn Photo Booth.
- Assist with daily execution of on-campus interview program and any additional employer engagement programs.
- Occasionally staff the front desk during evening career programs and events (typically taking place between 4:00-7:00pm).
- Review and approve job, internship, and co-op postings in Handshake.
- Explore Handshake to identify high-profile employer opportunities to highlight via social media, e-newsletter, and other channels.
- Utilize Handshake to schedule career counseling appointments for students and alumni.
- Support efforts to coordinate information sessions, publicity tables, and career programs/events.
- Complete administrative tasks as required by full-time staff, including but not limited to:
- Occasional data entry projects.
- Light cleaning, organizing, and sanitizing of shared spaces.
- Processing received check payments.
- Office supply inventory management.
- Printing documents, refilling printer toner, etc.
- Delivering printed materials to the AMU or Marquette Central.
Outreach & Communication:
- Create written, graphic, or video content for the Career Services Center LinkedIn and/or Instagram pages.
- Research and write career-related articles for the purpose of sharing via the Career Services Center LinkedIn page.
- Engage with students, alumni, and employers on the Career Services Center LinkedIn page.
- Review and edit the e-newsletter prior to distribution to students.
- Serve as Career Services Center Ambassador to promote services, career programs/fairs, and resources within your network at Marquette; promotion through classroom and student organization announcements are examples of avenues for promotion.
The Career Services Center welcomes students of all backgrounds, school years, and majors to apply. The following qualifications are vital to success within this role:
- Excellent customer service skills: ability to represent the Career Services Center courteously and effectively to all guests.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: ability to give clear guidance via phone, email, or in person regarding services and programs.
- Strong critical thinking skills: ability to weigh multiple factors in order to identify which employer opportunities to highlight across multiple channels.
- Ability to collaborate effectively as a member of the Office & Employer Relations Assistants’ team and the overall Career Services Center team.
- Strong organizational skills: ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Proficient with Microsoft 365 and ability to quickly learn how to use new technologies/databases such as Handshake.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Commitment to uphold the office's dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion, in alignment with Marquette University's guiding value to "Nurture an inclusive, diverse community."
- Good standing with the University (both academic and disciplinary).
- Must be available to staff occasional evening employer events (typically taking place between 4:00-7:00pm).
Please direct any questions to Emma Gran, Coordinator, Employer Relations: firstname.lastname@example.org.