SPARK Leader for New Student & Family Programs 2020
Mission of New Student & Family Programs
The Office of New Student & Family Programs intentionally creates programming (Winter Orientation, SPARK, New Student Orientation, and Family Weekend) to fulfill the following goals:
- Foster a welcoming environment in which students and their family members are introduced to the mission and core values of the Marquette community.
- Introduce students to the opportunities and responsibilities as students & community members.
- Provide opportunities to meet other new students, returning students, and other community members, and to begin to explore who they will be at Marquette.
- Create opportunities to consider the complex transitions and changes associated with pursuing a college education.
What is SPARK?
SPARK, Summer Priority Advising & Registration Kickoff, is a mandatory overnight two-day program for all new first-year students. SPARK offers students and their families the opportunity to peer into their lives at Marquette University and prepare for their upcoming transition to college. During the five programs in June, new students will register for classes, meet with representatives from the colleges and campus community, and have the opportunity to meet their fellow classmates while receiving support from a SPARK Leader. Learn more through our SPARK website.
Overview of Position
Working with New Student & Family Programs is an opportunity for personal growth and professional leadership development. Each year, a diverse team of mature and dedicated students are selected to assist with SPARK. During this experience, SPARK Leaders serve as group facilitators, resource people, and role models for new students and family members.
There are two opportunities available for current Marquette students—SPARK Leader (25 positions) and Orientation Leader (100 positions). This is the application to be a SPARK Leader. If you are interested in the Orientation Leader position, applications will go live during the Spring semester.
If you'd like to apply for both SPARK Leader & Orientation Leader, please only fill out the Handshake application for SPARK Leader and indicate your interest in both positions on the Qualtrics survey.
Want to learn more about being a SPARK Leader? Join us at an information session!
Friday, October 25 at 4:00 pm in AMU 163
Wednesday, October 30 at 5:00 pm in AMU 163
- Submit your resume and cover letter through Handshake.
- Submit the remainder of your application through Qualtrics.
- Mark your calendar for November 12 (individual interview) & 15 (group interview). You will be notified via Marquette email by Thursday, November 7 with a confirmation for your selected interview times.
*When selecting an interview time, if you cannot find any times that work with your schedule, please contact the office of New Student & Family Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 414.288.1412.
SPARK Leader Position Description
In order to be eligible to work with New Student & Family Programs, applicants must:
- Be a full-time undergraduate Marquette University student at the time of submitting their application and during the Fall 2019 semester.
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing at the time of their selection and through August 2020.
- Have and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.30. GPAs are calculated as of the semester prior to selection.
- Lead small group discussions and activities with 15-25 first-year students
- OR Guide families through SPARK as a SPARK Leader for Families!
- Perform job assignments including greeting guests, providing directions, assisting with check-in, staffing of social events, and assisting with academic registration.
- Stay overnight in the residence hall with new student during SPARK.
- Distribute information to new students and family members about the services and resources available at Marquette.
- Maintain a peer leadership environment with open communication between all staff members and the Student Directors for New Student & Family Programs.
- Serve as a representative of Marquette and execute all duties in a professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
As a high-level leadership position within New Student & Family Programs, we require full commitment to the role of SPARK Leader, especially during our June SPARK season. From May 27 - June 19, SPARK Leaders are unable to work another job nor take a summer class during this window. Applicants who are also interested in Resident Assistant for Fall 2020 are still eligible to be SPARK Leaders.
- 5 SPARK training dates throughout Spring Semester
- Will be notified of exact dates by December 2019
- May 27 - June 1: SPARK Training
- June 2 - June 19: SPARK 1 - 5
- August 25 - 26: SPARK 6
SPARK Leaders will be paid a stipend of $1200 (pre-tax). Housing will be provided during the SPARK training and sessions if needed. Meals will be provided during SPARK training and sessions. A $1000 payment will be made during SPARK 1-5, and the remaining $200 will be paid after Session 6 in August.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team! If you have any questions, please contact the office of New Student & Family Programs at email@example.com or call 414.288.1412