The City of Wauwatosa is much more than an employer – it's a
community. The City of Wauwatosa is a progressive, full-service
municipal organization. Be a part of a team that strives to find
new and better ways to improve our residents' experiences.
The Construction Manager oversees construction projects for the City to ensure compliance with plans and specifications. Represents the City in private development construction projects that include public improvements such as grading, paving, drainage and utility installation. Provides direction and supervision to Surveyors and Construction Inspectors.
The starting pay for this position ranges from $78,000 to $89,128 annually, depending on experience and qualifications. Further increases to the top of the range, $106,974 will be based on performance.
The following are normal for the position but shall not be
construed as exclusive or inclusive. Other related duties may be required
- Manages construction projects for the city to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Works closely with City Engineering staff in the preparation of plans, specifications, cost estimates and contracts for public construction projects.
- Conducts analysis, prepares reports and oversees work of consultants and contractors for construction projects.
- Reviews in house designs for constructability issues; reviews any deviations from approved plans of construction and coordinates with the design engineer on acceptability.
- Coordinates and leads preconstruction meetings with contractors and other City departments.
- Addresses complaints or inquiries on field operations; promotes and maintains positive departmental public relations and image with customers, which include other City departments and staff, contractors, developers, property owners, and the community in general.
- Coordinates and leads final walk-throughs of projects and recommends final acceptance.
- Assures completion of all paperwork and assures appropriate processes are followed with respect to record drawings of completed construction projects.
- Supervises and provides direction to the City's Surveyors and Construction Inspectors as well as consultant inspectors.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited program required.
- Must be a Professional Engineer licensed in the State of Wisconsin.
- A valid Wisconsin Driver's License is required.
The City of Wauwatosa reserves the right to utilize equivalencies where deemed appropriate with regard to education and experience requirements and may consider combinations of education and experience likely to lead to success with essential duties and responsibilities.
- Five to ten years related engineering experience preferred.
- Significant experience in public improvement construction in an urban environment strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public works design, drafting, surveying and construction.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
All of our employees are leaders of different varieties and we place as much emphasis on leadership as technical skills. The following leadership competencies have been identified as essential qualities for success in this position:
- Problem and Conflict Resolution
- Develops and Motivates Others
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Team Player
- Change Management Skills
This position receives supervision and direction from the City Engineer.
Interested candidates should visit our website to apply: www.wauwatosa.net. The application deadline is 4:30pm on Thursday, 5/31/18.